It happened in Iran…

We went to walk around and visit Tehran, capital of Iran, on the 24th day of our trip. After playing football with some kids at a park, we decided to visit a monument suggested by the girl from our hotel. When we arrived there, we found out it was an obelisk to end religious diversity. When we entered the country, we were forbidden to wear shorts because all the men are supposed to wear pants that cover the whole legs. Women must cover their heads with a scarf and cannot show any part of the body besides their hands and the faces, even when it’s close to 40°C.

The next day, we went to the bus station to buy our tickets to Tabriz, in northwest Iran. After, we went to the market to buy food and Paulo went to find a place to exchange money. Edgar stayed with our luggage and, tired of just waiting for us,  decided to take pictures of some girls that were walking around. When I came back, a police officer was holding the camera with one hand and Edgar’s arm with the other. I came close and the officer told me to sit down and took Edgar away. After half an hour, he hadn’t come back yet. We started getting worried, thinking about what could have happened to him. Paulo went to try to stall the bus until Edgar came back and I started to search for the Brazilian consulate’s number in my notes.

Ten minutes later, he came down the stairs jumping the steps with the camera on his hands and we started to run to the bus. When we were seated, he told us what happened there. The officer took him to their boss, that was on a meeting with nine or ten people. From there, he was taken into another room, and then to another. The camera passed from hand to hand of nine people, but no one knew how to use it. They tried to talk to him in Persian and he tried to explain, in English, that he had only took pictures of his friends and that he had to catch a bus to Tabriz. But they didn’t understand him. But then, a younger officer arrived who could speak English. He told Edgar it was forbidden to take pictures inside the station and all of the photos had to be erased. Before explaining how to erase them, Edgar was able to delete the last two that were showing close ups of two beautiful girls that were seated near him. At the end, they erased all the pictures he had on the camera. We were lucky because the night before I had copied most of them to my computer.

Just before the bus was about to leave, the guy who sold us the tickets came on the bus and said, “You are in the wrong bus.” He looked worried. “This one goes to the south of Iran, yours is the other on.”

Categories: Diary, Expedition

Post navigation

Proudly powered by WordPress Theme: Adventure Journal by Contexture International.